Monday 5 March 2012

Jottage from Cambridge: Mushroom Risoniotto



Strangely enough we have also just tried the Mushroom Risonitto. Well actually I just did the eating as my husband decided that he would do the cooking while I took a break from the kitchen. Tristan watched Theo cut up the mushrooms and measure out all the various ingredients from his high chair – I think Theo thought he had eaten a raw mushroom but I found it later stuck under the washing machine. I had bought button mushrooms and chestnut mushrooms, and we happened to have a selection of dry mushrooms too. I had just been to Tesco and bought a few of those handy cartons of white wine so we didn’t need to open a bottle.

I adore mushrooms, but goodness this dish was almost too mushroomy even for me! The orzo didn’t stick together thankfully, and the dish was deliciously creamy. However I’m not sure I would make it again or, if I did, I would use fewer chestnut mushrooms. I hadn’t realised that button mushrooms have pretty much no taste at all – a bit like cheap tomatoes which aren’t cut from the vine. You seem to pay extra for flavour these days which is a bit depressing. Sainsbury's use the label 'Taste the Difference' on their premium products which perhaps does hint at the fact that, unless you're willing to dig that bit deeper into your pockets, what you're buying really won't taste of much at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment