Monday 26 March 2012

Jottage from Lancaster - Leek and Broccoli Speltotto

Just when I wasn't sure what to make for dinner, a River Cottage link to the Guardian HFW recipes at the weekend turned up on Facebook with barley and spelt recipes. One of them was for Leek and Broccoli Speltotto. As it happened, I had both leek and broccoli which I was thinking of eating tonight, but I wasn't quite sure what to do with them except cook them and sprinkle them with cheese. So I printed out the recipe and went straight into the kitchen to start making it. Amazingly enough I had all the ingredients, even fresh thyme and a little cardboard carton of wine (though actually opening a bottle and using some of it might have been a nice option as we could have drunk the rest of it tonight). 


Both Heather and I have noticed the amount of washing up generated by cooking from scratch, and I used a non-stick frying pan and a couple of saucepans as well as various knives and a cheese grater but overall it didn't seem to hard to make - in fact it was relatively simple. But the results were really gorgeous. The spelt was nutty and the veg succulent. I added parmesan cheese but it probably would have been good without.






The more I make these veg recipes, the more I love vegetarian food. This one really stands out as one of my top favourites.

No comments:

Post a Comment