Tuesday 28 February 2012

Jottage from Lancaster - Mushroom Risoniotto

I was quite excited about trying this as I had 'discovered' the tiny 'orzo' or 'risoni' rice on one of our trips to Waitrose at Sandbach. Going to a new supermarket always entails new discoveries - it's so easy to sashay past whole aisles in Tesco Carnforth convinced that there is nothing down there that I might like but if I have the time I like to browse a supermarket - rather as in the olden days (almost) you could browse a bookshop to find something of interest you hadn't come across before. I thought that risoni looked interesting and exotic and it would make a good alternative to rice - and cook in super-quick time. So when I saw the mushroom risionoto recipe in Veg Everyday I had to give it a go - and not just because it had quite a catchy name.


In honour of this venture into new territory, I bought a pack of Chestnut Mushrooms. Now to most people I would imagine that this is as much in their comfort zones as baked beans or a tin of chopped tomatoes with basil, but for me it was quite adventurous. Anyway, I cooked, fried, stirred it all up and added the wine and the cream (usefully languishing in the fridge waiting for their moment). All was going well - but I was a bit surprised when the risoni came out in one splodgy lump - rather like rice when it isn't cooked quite right. Separating it out into neat fluffy grains was all but impossible but I did my best.  I added it to the mushrooms in the pan and Lo! I had mushroom risonioto!


The recipe says it's enough for 2, but I think it would do 3. It has quite a delicate taste but the balsamic vinegar gives it a great little kick. Overall one to try again I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment