Thursday 16 February 2012

Jottage from Lancaster - Kale and Mushroom lasagne (2)

There's something to be said for trusting a recipe book. To my genuine surprise (tinged with a little horror) I found out that many recipe books just put in random recipes that had never actually been tried out. Many of Mrs Beeton's recipes, for instance, are just made up figments of her imagination. They may work out - they may not. Although I don't know if Delia Smith was the first of her kind to have actually whipped up every recipe in her famous books - but in my mind she was the first cook I trusted. Many of us feel the same I know, as the blessed Delia's Complete Cookery Course must be on almost everyone's cookery bookshelf. I know that people love Jamie and that there are other equally brilliant cooks (mostly of the TV variety) who produce books that people 'swear by'. Since I'm not a huge fan of TV cookery, these have largely passed me by. However, our chance encounter with Hugh changed all that (as you must realise) and I have come to rely on, trust even, the River Cottage recipes. 


In my Delia phases (Marigold stock powder, real Madagascar vanilla essence et al), I was always pleased with the results of what I made - and I never doubted that what would turn out would be palatable, but it was never quite as exciting as I wanted to it be. Now I wouldn't call my self anything but a decent, plain cook. Cottage pie, steamed ginger pudding, Yorkshire pud and decent gravy are my strengths and Delia provided recipes of that ilk that I was quite happy to make. But suddenly when I bought River Cottage Everyday I felt that it was something I really wanted to try. To be able to make things that were a bit different and a bit more exciting. But kale and spinach lasagne would have to be a no-no. It sounded bland, uninteresting and 'not quite my thing'.


However.


Assembled but not cooked
Once Heather had made it and I looked again I thought I would have a go. Just because I trusted the book not to put me through the shenanigans of making it if it wasn't better than half way decent to eat. Bearing in mind Heather's warnings about the lasagne not being cooked, I did what I usually do and made it in the morning in the hope that the lasagne sheets would soften enough before it was cooked to avoid pre-cooking. I had a minor hiccup as I suddenly thought it needed 200g of parmesan and not 20g and I also got completely muddled about which layer was which and ended up just stacking up the kale, mushrooms and lasagne pretty randomly in the dish before I sprinkled on the obligatory cheese. So far so good. It seemed to be a simple recipe (and certainly cheap - especially given that it didn't need much Parmesan. But boy did it make a lot of washing up!



The finished lasagne!
The end result had the obligatory bubbling cheese on top. And amazingly it tasted really wonderful. Definitely one to make again and again. Really the pre-cooked lasagne did need to be cooked - it was a bit more al dente than It perhaps should have been. But I don't mind making it again as I want to eat it again!






All that was left was to eat it - and then do the washing up!





No comments:

Post a Comment