Wednesday 7 December 2011

Jottings from Lancaster - a tale of 4 mistakes

I never got round to making the blue vinny and leek tart. Somehow other things took over. But I had another go at making the chicken and mushrooms which was nice, but somehow not quite as nice as when I first made it. And then I made the curried fish pie. Heather's version of this was stunning - gorgeous crispy pastry and a delicately curry flavoured filling. Mine wasn't like this at all. I had been up in the morning early to make the filling. In a fit of wildness and haste I made the bechamel sauce by guessing the quantities (mistake no 1). It was clear almost immediately that if I added the milk to it to make a smooth sauce it would create enough Bechamel to float a battleship. Instead of just throwing away some of the roux and then adding the milk I just kept adding milk but in the end I didn't feel I could keep on adding it - so I ended up with a sauce that was just too thick (mistake no 2).


We went out for the day and when we returned I put the puff pastry on the top and cooked it. I forgot the bit about brushing it with egg (mistake no 3), and I put it in the oven to cook. But instead of letting it cook properly, I took it out of the oven too early (mistake no 4) and the pastry wasn't quite done and a bit soggy underneath. So the lovely crispy topping wasn't really crispy but the fishy bit was nice enough. I was - I am - quite disappointed with myself. 


Today I am going to keep to the recipe, keep to the cooking times, and keep my fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment