Saturday 12 May 2012

Jottage from Lancaster - The 2nd loaf

We managed to eat all the first loaf, which I didn't expect. But apart from being very obviously 'artisan' it wasn't that good. But I was quite excited about having another shot at it. I have some four grain flour which was milled reasonably locally and also the end of a bag of white flour. I was more confident about the recipe, and perhaps being a little freer with the water than the first time and going more with my instincts. 


As it was mostly whole wheat flour I wasn't expecting it to turn out like tights after kneading, but I was a bit surprised when it could have passed for maybe a new Aran sweater and the dough definitely had some stretchy quality that the last lot didn't have. I gave it plenty of time to rise and we went out and I just left it to fend for itself. When we got back it was deep and spongy.

I knocked it back by poking it with my fingers as the book says. I still wanted to physically thump it, but I poked it quite thoroughly into submission so that it was flat like a pancake. 


You have to fold it, roll it and pinch it just so to get it into shape. This is the one process in the 40 pages that he doesn't explain the reason for. In the past, I would just sort of mould it into shape with my hands but apparently that isn't the done thing to do. I thought I would make a baton-shaped loaf and the book says that that is the most complicated to do. Regardless of the difficulty, I had a go and it did make quite a satisfying baton-shape which I am quite proud of.
If this turns out like the last loaf, then it will be a great weapon to attack potential burglars but I am much more optimistic this time. John brought in an old stone flag which must have been on our roof some time in the past and so I put that in the oven to warm up so that this time I can call it stone-baked. At the moment it's in the oven and I am watching anxiously through the glass doors. It looks lovely - hopefully it will taste good too.


Here is the finished loaf fresh from the oven - I only hope it tastes as good as it looks!



No comments:

Post a Comment