Wednesday 11 April 2012

Jottage from Lancaster - Cooking from an App Part 2

My chosen meal for tonight was sea trout in sorrel sauce. Although I am a fish novice, even I worked out that the trout I bought wasn't sea trout, but I thought that it was some kind of trout, so that would be OK. I also remembered that on a tour of the field one rare sunny and dry day I had spotted some sorrel. So far so good. So then all I had to do is to try getting it right using the app.


First of all a trip into the field, which was still covered with a layer of rather large hailstones, even though the sun was shining encouragingly. The sorrel is still there in abundance, but looking more closely at it, it seemed to be a bit the worse for wear. I pulled out decent handfuls of the stuff and brought it into the kitchen, only to find that I had brought in a lot of grass with it, and when I weighed what was left I had about 20g of the stuff - some of which seemed as if it had half eaten by some creature that wasn't interested at all in having it with sea trout.
Only 20g of sorrel
I needed an egg yolk and a tablespoonful of cream so, in the interests of being economical I used the egg white and another egg, as well as the rest of the cream, to make ice cream. I make ice cream all the time in little individual pots. This gets round the difficulty of getting enough for one serving without defrosting the lot. And it gets round paying a vast amount of money for something which is just an egg or 2, a bit of sugar and some cream. What costs me just over £1 to make would be nearer £5 in the shops.


Home made ice cream churning
I cooked what I learnt from the packet was rainbow trout and made up the sorrel sauce, albeit with only 20g of sorrel instead of 100g or so. This was a mistake as in the end it really needed a stronger sorrel flavour but getting more of the stuff seemed too difficult. It just may be that when the weather gets a bit warmer there will be more it. And I think I may pick some for salads if it does begin a spring growth spurt. But I had come to the end of the app recipe and unlike last night, I didn't have any ingredients left over. What I did have was a thick and creamy sorrel-y sauce over some nice succulent fish. But next time I will follow the recipe and put much more sorrel in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment