Monday 21 November 2011

Jottage from Lancaster - Chachouka

"This spicy North African pepper and tomato stew with eggs baked on top makes a lovely, lazy brunch or supper"


If you are feeling a bit queasy after one of those 24 hours bugs then something tasty and delectable is just what you need. So a bit of left-over Chachouka in the freezer with an egg seemed exactly right for lunch today. Heather has talked about Hugh making you feel that you can be free and adaptable with his recipes, and with this chachouka I was careful with the spices but reckless with the amount of veggies - just using what I had waiting to be eaten up. I didn't have a chili but everything else was there to be chopped up and the cooked and eaten. I even used up the rest of my 5 year old saffron. I don't suppose it had any saffron-like qualities left - but I threw it all in anyway.


The thing that has really impressed me about the River Cottage Everyday book was that somehow I could make things and they came out like the pictures. 


So here is Chachouka from the book...












and here is my lunch (cooked, incidentally, on the top of the wood-burning stove)...


Actually, I think mine looks even better!



1 comment: